It’s September, and I am itching to buy new craft supplies. There are gorgeous new lines out, but as I look around my craft room, I know that I absolutely do not NEED any more supplies. I am barely using all of the supplies that I already own! So, in an attempt to shake things up a bit, I challenged myself to create a monochromatic traveler’s notebook layout. This achieved two big things:
- I dug into my stash, rediscovering supplies that I have been hoarding for a while!
- I was able to finish up a few random supplies that were holding on for dear life in my craft room!
This challenge also was a nice change of pace for someone like me who loves to us all the colors, all the time. Check out my process below:
The thought behind these two layouts was simple enough
- Stick to one color or shades of that color.
- Use texture to add interest to the page.
- Embellish like crazy!
It is my personal feeling that when you are working with a monochromatic layout, you simply can not have too many embellishments. No single embellishment dominates the page, because they all blend together. This gave me the perfect opportunity to use bits and pieces that I knew were not going to make it onto another page. When was I going to use a teal colored fox? Probably never, but it fit perfectly as part of my second layout.
It’s fun to challenge yourself and push yourself to try new things. You never know what you might discover and you will definitely begin to see your supplies with fresh eyes. This project reminded me that I actually do like when the pictures take center stage on a layout. And, I discovered that I really do like monochromatic scrapping. I am seriously considering scrapping through the rainbow in my July Traveler’s Notebook. How fun would that be?!?
What scrappy challenges have you tried?!? I’d love to hear about more ways I can push outside of my comfort zone!
Keep it creative,
-The Scrappy Wife
- Traveler’s Notebooks from BTW4G
- Various papers and supplies from Felicity Jane
- Tombow Tape Runner Adhesive
- Maggie Holmes Carousel Ephemera
- Maggie Holmes Carousel Paper
- Various stickers and ephemera from my stash!